Friday, July 08, 2005

Singapore: Passing Round the Indo

















After a relatively easy 13-hour flight that really only seemed like about 9 and a half, Peggy and I arrived in Taipei. Singapore Airlines was really all it was hyped-up to be. Gentle, immaculate flight attendants; high-tech seat entertainment, with 120 channels of on demand movies / TV and video games (with such cool remote controllers, too); decent food that didn't taste like it came from Panda Express.

Peggy and I had a pretty fun time on the flights, yelled 'Yahtzee' aloud on more than one occasion, watched 'Caddyshack' (complete with gratuitous female nudity) and 'Dirty Harry'. I was impressed (not just by the female nudity).

There was, however, the surgical mask effect. Now, I know that I have been known to pass my share of gas, and that they may be practicing physicians coming straight from work, or if they're wearing masks to say, "hip for Summer but ready for the bird flu epidemic in the Fall", but its clearly a fashion that is sweeping Asia. There
were three different women (none ordered the chicken), and each of them had a patterned 'cover' to compliment their filtration system. I think the lady next to me wore a knock-off Fendi.

Taipei to Singapore was uneventful, a quick four-hour jaunt across Indonesia. Never before have I been on a flight and recognized so few of the cities that we passed over. The lady who sat next to us insisted that we go to Kuala Lampur, her hometown. Not sure if she realized the amount of airplane time we've logged recently and that spending one day out of three travelling again was probably not the best thing.

Look out Singapore - we're hitting the streets of today, rules be damned!