Thursday, August 18, 2005

Another Post from Peggy!

I’ve finally been nudged into posting again. So... here is a little recap of my week. On Sunday was the City to Surf run. I completed the 14-km trek from downtown to Bondi Beach with our friend Ellen, although we walked. I was anticipating a day of crazy drunk naked people (like the Bay to Breakers), but the most outlandish outfit was one guy wearing a women’s swimsuit. No naked people, no elaborate schemes for transporting several kegs across town, just a bunch of people out for a bit of exercise. The Aussies sure do take their sport seriously – confirmed by the fact that most of the race participants (not I) had paid $37 to register. And they didn’t even get a t-shirt for their money!





















Speaking of sport, I have decided to take up a new athletic endeavor. I figured Sydney is one of the few places in the world where one can play cricket, so I decided to try it out. I went to the second pre-season training session for the University Women’s Cricket team.


Amazingly enough, cricket is fun, at least to play. Watching a 5-day match is a little mind numbing, but practice is enjoyable. It turns out the field hockey skills translate very well to cricket, as you hold the bat in a similar way to a hockey stick. I’m planning on joining the team, and included in my dues are a cricketer’s outfit, which will double as a Halloween costume once we return to the states.

Tonight we’re off to buy a fridge. Wish us luck. It’s been three months since we’ve had a fridge to call our own. We ready to get settled now!